Fast forward 7/8 years - last injection 23rd September 2019


At the time I didn’t know this would be my last injection. I had thought about stopping as myself and my boyfriend had discussed having children in the future but hadn’t really planned to stop. Then in November I had my scheduled smear test and it came back as abnormal. I remember opening that letter and my heart dropping immediately thinking the worse mainly that something might be wrong meaning I can’t have a baby. I think most people would have instantly thought about the big C (cancer not COVID – this was before we were panicking about that) which is definitely what my boyfriend thought. I don’t remember being especially worried about it being cancer other than to make jokes about it… I won’t go into too much detail about that as I’m sure I’ll offend someone but making light of a situation is my way to not let things worry me. I don’t think my boyfriend appreciated my humour at the time but my friends did and even my mum joined in with the jokes.
I had to have a colposcopy (where they put a camera up your foo) and had biopsies taken – ouch! I then had to wait 6 long weeks for my results. I think we kind of agreed at this stage to not have my next injection or at least I knew I didn’t want it again. I guess it kind of put things into perspective for us and the thought of something seriously being wrong and not being able to have children terrified me. Also at this point I was very naïve and thought I could get pregnant straight away… until I googled it. Up to 2 years to regain ovulation. Great. So I thought I better had make that my last one. 

At the time of stopping the depo I felt desperate to get pregnant immediately even though I knew this wasn’t realistic. I think because I knew we were stopping contraception and had the potential to get pregnant made me want it more. I also still hadn’t had my biopsy results which probably added to my desperation! So anyway the 16th of December 2019 was the date I was next due. When this day/week/month came and went without anything happening I was a bit surprised (and a little relieved). I think I had imagined that I would start bleeding immediately but nothing. January 2020 came – still nothing. No bleeding or any signs that I had actually stopped the depo. My body looked and felt the same as it always had done for the past 8 years or for as long as I can remember really. Then February came. 

N.B. Early January brought my biopsy results and thankfully only mild changes needing no treatment but yearly smear tests going forward – Huge relief!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 2021: 2 years off Depo!

Light at the end of the tunnel

All hail the vitamins!